Saturday 31 March 2012

A perfect weekend

Remember I told you about a crochet/sewing project last week which had to be completed for the weekend? I have been planning this project for quite a while, it took time to find the right yarn (good old charity shop came up trumps with some just off white yarn - it had to be off white, not white or cream which proved quite difficult to find). I used my knitted and crocheted flowers book and tested out a few different flowers to see which would be the right one. Above is the flower I chose and I crocheted 38 of them using a 1.5mm crochet hook. Lots of ends to sew in!
Then I sewed 6 tiny glass beads on each one - that took the best part of a day to do. Next I had to make a waistband and sew the flowers on - another day taken doing this. Definitely a labour of love. And the project was almost complete - just the final finishing touches, sewing on buttons and attaching to the dress (made by the lovely lady who made my wedding dress).

This dress was worn by my eldest two years ago with a pearl waistband but my youngest wanted it to be slightly different for her special day.
Her First Holy Communion day. She really did look beautiful and had the best time with 40 of her school friends all taking their first communion at the local church. A party tea in the church hall then back to our house for champagne, nibbles and cake...

Chocolate cake, as requested by the special girl.

We had a fantastic day but boy were we all exhausted come Monday!

So that's another crochet project completed. Still working on and off on the chevron garden blanket, I wonder if it will be finished before the summer is over. I have really lost interest in it but I will try hard to get back on track as really, there is only a little bit left to go before it's done.

I've been out in the garden again over the past couple of days, digging up yet more mandrakes. Can't wait til it's all cleared and ready to turf. The kids are getting quite excited too as it means they will have double the amount of lawn to play on. Roll on summer.


NOT SURE WHY THESE TWO POSTS ARE HERE - I WAS MESSING AROUND WITH LABELS AND THEY MOVED. CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE THEM BACK SO HERE THEY WILL STAY.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, the dress looks beautiful. Glad you all had a good day.
    Know what you mean about losing enthusiasm for a big project - I've been ploughing on with my springtime throw for months now, but am actually feeling the urge to make some squares tonight, so had better strike while the iron's hot!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. this brought back memories although it was easier with having boys, white shirts, school shorts and the school supplied red ties. I hope she had a fabulous day,she looks lovely. Oddly enough at work I'm making 22 Holy Communion candles all personalized with their names on, it's driving me crazy, but should have them finished for the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gorgeousness! Both the lovely frock re do and the granny stripe in your last post. Clever you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julia. you need to alter the "published" date to get them back to where they belong :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea for a wasitband, looks great :) As does that cake..! Hx

    ReplyDelete